With the peak summer season just around the corner, it’s time to turn your attention outside and spruce up your decks, balconies and patios to create a beautiful outdoor oasis for your guests.
As our six simple tips demonstrate, whether you have a tiny balcony or a sprawling patio, it doesn’t take much to elevate your outdoor spaces to rival those of an upscale boutique hotel. Afterall, that is the experience your guests are looking for this summer.
1 A STATEMENT AREA RUG – Any outdoor space will be elevated immediately when it’s anchored with an outdoor rug. Rugs are also a good way to introduce colour and pattern – I say go bold in your choices here. Guests love to stay in places that don’t play it safe! Remember to go large – at a minimum the front legs of all your furniture in a seating arrangement should sit on the rug. For dining areas ensure dining chairs stay on the rug when pulled out.
2. COMFORTABLE SEATING – After a day of exploring guests will look forward to coming home to a comfortable, lounge-worthy patio on which to sip on their cocktail of choice. Use a matching sofa and chair, or sofa and loveseat, but add different side chairs and contrasting coffee and side tables for a more collected feel. Be sure to have enough seats for the maximum number of guests that you can host in your short term rental. And if you have room, add a unique piece such as a hammock or hanging pod chair – something that your guests may not have at home.
3. ADD SOME SHADE – Not everyone likes to bask in the midday sun, so adding an option for shade will be welcomed by many guests. Cantilevered umbrella’s are a great option for a lounge area or you could opt for a shade sail that stays in place over the summer months hung over a section of your pool, seating or dining area.
4. LIGHT IT UP – isn’t there something magical about ambient outdoor lighting? String lights are a guest favourite, and remind me of dining al fresco in Palm Springs. Hurricane lamps and lanterns look great clustered together on a table in different sizes, or placed around your deck or patio space. You can also install solar powered fixtures to flood light plantings, pathways and trees to add a beautiful dimension for your guests to enjoy in the warm summer evenings.
5. CUSHIONS + BLANKETS – in my mind these are essential to include when styling an outdoor setting as they add layers of colour, pattern and texture and add a level of luxury that elevates your AirBnB. Stick with a cohesive colour palette but experiment with a variety of patterns and textures to create the perfect pillow scheme.
6. PLANTS – a mix of plants and containers clustered around your deck, balcony or patio creates a lush feel, and can also double to create a private oasis. Play around with various heights and textures of your plantings to create more interest.
Share with me how your outside oasis is shaping up either in the comments or over on Instagram. And be sure to take photos of your upgraded outdoor space and add them to your AirBnB listing and other marketing channels.
See what other readers are loving right now.
Our most popular download for a reason.
We share 5 exterior paint combos to take your house from forgettable to the best on the block.
For more of our latest projects, tips, insights and behind the scenes action, follow along on instagram at @caireenkennedy. Be sure to DM and say hello!
© shift modern home 2022
design by tonic
photos by lindsay nichols photography + photo 4 design
interior design coaching for short term rental hosts